incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Policy for BUILD and CHANGES files in podling releases
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 14:06:55 GMT
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Eric Sammer <esammer@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Incubators:
>
> I can't find an appropriate policy on the licensing requirements of
> ancillary files like BUILD or CHANGES files that are commonly distributed
> with releases. I'm specifically looking at the somewhat vague and confusing
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

(Unfinished might be a better description. Patches appreciated ;-)

> but also http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html. I did find:
>
> "Does this apply to documentation files included in a release?"
> Yes.

legal-discuss [1] is the right list for questions like this and that
community maintains that documentation. it's a low traffic list. to
get a canonical answer, ask there and ask for this case to be more
clearly documented.

(IMHO BUILDING and CHANGES are corner cases. I incline towards adding
license headers unless they are clearly trivial.)

> ...(in the context of license headers) in the src-headers.html doc, but if
> that's the case, it doesn't look like many projects adhere to it. Ironically
> enough, the RAT project (which is what I'm using from our maven build) is
> what caught this and has the same files with no license headers.

Rat is best viewed as a comprehension tool - it helps to find
questions that need answering

Robert

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/