incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Remediation ...
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:48:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Since IBM has already implemented their workarounds and it is existing code shouldn't
it all be contributed via a Software Grant from IBM and go through the same IP remediation
as the Oracle grant only at a much smaller level of effort?

Software Grants from IBM and Oracle will only protect licensees of the
codebase against lawsuits from IBM and Oracle.  There may or may not
be other patents held by other entities.  These patents may or may not
be valid or enforceable.  Different people may come to different
conclusions as to the relative risk.

How we sort this out will depend entirely on the specifics of each instance.

- Sam Ruby