incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:30:59 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 09:21, Simon Brouwer <simon.oo.o@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Op 2-6-2011 15:04, Greg Stein schreef:
>> If you would like to contribute here (possibly instead of, or in
>> addition, to your work at TDF), then yes! Please add yourself into the
>> proposal on the wiki.
>
> I had already been so bold as to adding myself to the list, expressing my
> support to the proposal. I was wondering though. In the OpenOffice.org
> project, many community members contribute in other ways than committing
> code, for example by writing or translating documentation, being active in
> the marketing project, taking part in QA. Some concern has been expressed
> that, if the meritocratic system in Apache is based on code contribution
> only, those community members are not able to fully become part of the
> OpenOffice.org Apache project or the Apache community.

Not a worry.

Noirin Plunkett (aka Noirin Shirley) is one of the Directors of
Apache, the current Executive Vice President, and held the VP
Conferences Committee position for several years. She has not
submitted a single line of code that I can recall. Noirin started out
at the ASF doing documentation for the HTTP Server project.

We also have ASF Members such as Sally Khudairi (Press and Marketing)
and Larry Rosen (Legal) who have not committed any code.

I would suggest adding a "Non-code Contributors" table into the
proposal and putting your name in there. We don't have precedent for
it, so may as well start with something. We can always wiggle it
around later, as needed.

Cheers,
-g