incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A little OOo history
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:45:01 GMT
Danese,

> 3) LOTS of people download OOo
> Like maybe 10% of the human population of the planet.  And its a big file.
> Initially we engaged Akamai, but it quickly became too expensive. Serving up downloads
of OOo was pretty intense. I know Apache has all that web server download traffic and all...but
I'm telling you Sun.com quailed at the throughput, and we shouldn't assume our mileage will
vary. There will be extraordinary infrastructure costs, because it is end-user software (and
there are a LOT of users worldwide). Sun mitigated this problem with mirrors, but of course
that screwed download stats.

do you have any numbers?

I am really curious - people are always saying that but I cannot get
out numbers. I believe all you said, I just would like to know how
much it is actually

Thanks for the interesting read