incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legal concern: Are we getting to close ot a "division of markets" conversation?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 03:58:35 GMT
Right. In short, there is no way to "divide the market" when you're
talking about ALv2 licensing. Everybody has equal access to very
permissively-licensed software.

It is not a worry. Move along, please.

Cheers,
-g

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 23:51, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> The problem here is that Rob and Sam and other well-known employees are being addressed
as IBM employees here and even called to account for their employer's behavior and intentions
by some of the participants.  I suggest that the best way to deal with those requests is
to meet them with silence and those of us who know better should stop asking those questions.

> Furthermore, the competition laws that apply to Rob and Sam as IBM employees and their
agreements with their employer are not waived by their having a different hat here.  They
can't get out of it, just like a priest (or parishioner) can't avoid causing scandal by misbehaving
in plain clothes.  They can operate as individuals but they must also honor the requirements
on their conduct that are a consequence of their employment.

> However, this is not a secret conversation and it is not about arrangements to exclude
third parties (except the absent elephant that shall not be named, and I don't see how that
can happen under a transparent Alv2 setup anyhow -- au contraire).  Furthermore, it is not
clear to me that anything that happens here can create a "division of markets."

> I think this can be more grounded by talking about specific actions that are called for
in finalizing the proposal and in anticipating the essential work for taking over the OpenOffice.org
code base, related artifacts, and making them available under ALv2, whether or not we ever
make a distribution that is called Apache OpenOffice.org.

> I have too many more thoughts, but it is time to take the trash to the curb and then
feed the cats.  So you are spared for now [;<).

>  - Dennis

agree to 'Divide Territories' ? They have by law the obligation to 'compete' for the potential
recipient of their charity ?