incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Legal concern: Are we getting to close ot a "division of markets" conversation?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 09:51:08 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:45 AM, dsh <daniel.haischt@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If IBM has legal concerns in this regards they may involve their own
> IP and patent attorney stuff IBM-internally.

I really didn't want to participate in this thread, and like Greg wish
it would end, but I will state a number of things:

(1) that I have not (yet?) heard this particular concern from IBM
attorneys on this particular project

(2) I am quite willing to talk to IBM attorneys (and those that know
me also know that I am quite willing to tell them in straight terms
what the ASF is, and is not, willing to tolerate)

(3) The ASF that I know would never tell a project that they can't do
something for which there are volunteers simply because similar
functionality is available under a less permissive license.

(4) Finally I will (re)state my vision[1]:

Part of this vision is also that participants don't block one another.
If IBM, for example, has a proprietary value add they should not be
able to block somebody else from contributing substantially similar
functionality to the ASF under a more liberal license. Similarly, if
LO has some CopyLeft value add, they should not be able to block
others from contributing substantially similar functionality to the
ASF under a more liberal license.

> Cheers
> Daniel

- Sam Ruby