incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HREUNITING the Community?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 14:41:47 GMT
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Greg Stein wrote on 2011-06-04 16.28:

<snip>

>> Personally, I think Oracle's choice had more to do with IBM's
>> recommendation, than taxes.

+1

> I tend to agree.

IMO it's all about governance.

Non-profit foundations are constrained to act in certain ways. For
example, it is hard for either the Apache or the Free Software
Foundations to close source donated code.

> At least it would have not been impossible at all to work
> around that donation isuse, if there had been a will to do so. But I guess
> that should not be the topic of this thread. :-)

Workarounds would have been possible but would have been slower and
less certain to succeed. Donation to a existing non-profit foundation
with an established governance model is a quick and sure way to get
the code out from for-profit corporate control and to the community.

Robert