incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Remediation ...
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:39:31 GMT
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2011, at 20:10, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> I agree that the ethical thing to do is to inform partners of such matters, although
I still don't know how to guarantee it.  And generally speaking, you might want to treat
the specifics of such matters in similarly sensitive manner as to how you would carefully
handle any potential security related matters that might exist.

> Surely now this has been flagged, we can and should proactively address it
> in incubation.
>
> I'd propose to create a "Patent Issues" bug report.  We can then call on all
> participants with knowledge of patent issues to enter them as dependencies
> of the meta-bug, so that Michael and other interested parties have a focus
> for related activity at apache.org.
>
> I would also suggest that it should be a blocker for graduation that every
> known patent issue be resolved.  That is to say, either a full fix, or failing
> that a discussion and executive summary sufficient to alert users.

Before proceeding, I would like to seek advice from our counsel.  I
also want to proceed based on specific patent infringement concerns
and not on abstract hypotheticals.  However, I don't want to spend
valuable time on this until we decide whether or not to accept this
project for incubation.

However we proceed, I will keep the incubator PMC informed.

> --
> Nick Kew
>
> Available for work, contract or permanent
> http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

- Sam Ruby