incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OO/LO License
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 20:17:40 GMT
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Once licensing issues are understood then a way the two communities might mutually cooperate
becomes clear. And here it is LO/TDF might contribute to Apache OO by providing portions of
the LO codebase as MPL binary libraries.

> Sam, is this the direction you are leading us?

While minor portions of a distribution which are unlikely to need to
be modified may be made available under the MPL, it is not the intent
of the ASF to produce distributions consisting substantially of
materials made available under other licenses.

In general, the philosophy is that there are lots of good licenses out
there, and people should feel comfortable with their choice of
license.  If others wish to use the Apache License, they are of course
welcome to do so, and need not give anything back either to us... or
to anybody else.

However those that wish to use a license other than the Apache License
will need to do so elsewhere.  Those that do so are welcome to make
use of our code as long as they follow the generous terms of our
license.

This isn't about good/bad.  It isn't an ideology.  It merely is a
definition of what the Apache
Software Foundation produces.  It sets an expectation of what our
users can expect from us.

Further details here:

http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html

> Regards,