incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simos Xenitellis <simos.li...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:55:19 GMT
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)
>
> On 11 Jun 2011, at 11:23, Simos Xenitellis <simos.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The part about the ASF undertaking only a reference implementation for
>> the ODF format
>> was not discussed.
>
> Yes it was. In fact it was the suggestion that OO.o should be refactored so that components
could be reused elsewhere that encouraged me to sign up as a mentor. Both TDF and proposers
saw this as a potential area for collaboration.

The proposal talks about what is essentially a full replication of
what we already have with LibreOffice.

Since Oracle was willing to transfer the OOo source code copyrights to
the ASF, the ASF could have accepted those copyrights,
extract the related code for the ODF reference implementation, and
re-release the source code with a copyleft license.

> There is certainly no consensus on whether this is viable and the original proposers
do not want to limit the scope of the project to just this aspect.  However, there is a desire
from some initial committees and some TDF representatives to explore this.

> As a mentor I aim to see if this refactoring, with the collaboration opportunities it
presents, can be realised.

I think you refer to overall OOo refactoring (which is indeed needed),
rather than code that relates to the ODF format.

This work you describe can very well start with LibreOffice now, or
have started even six months ago, with git repositories ready to
clone.
The ASF undertaking this, it will probably be several months before we
begin to see progress.

Simos