incubator-general mailing list archives

From Keith Curtis <keit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice & LibreOffice
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:28:15 GMT
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Please, before you post here could you get some understanding of the ASF?  The Apache
Software Foundation doesn't "pick" anything.

I realize that everyone makes their own choice, it just seems that
Java is the dominant language. Whereas it is being phased out of
LibreOffice.

> All we care about is that you can build a community and that your code is released under
the Apache license.

It seems some want more than that, because they also don't want it to
be relicensed and made GPL later. The Apache license doesn't say
anything about it, so saying you just want the Apache license does not
seem totally true.

> As for the "support of IBM" you mentioned in another email, I almost fell over laughing.

There are a number of people being paid by IBM on this list who are
involved with this OO effort.

I read your stuff. I find it paradoxical that the Apache org claims to
be pragmatic, yet insists on the Apache license + no relicensing.

-Keith