incubator-general mailing list archives

From Volker Merschmann <merschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A little OOo history
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:54:08 GMT
Hi,

2011/6/7 Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>:
>> 3) LOTS of people download OOo
>> Like maybe 10% of the human population of the planet.  And its a big file.
>> Initially we engaged Akamai, but it quickly became too expensive. Serving up downloads
of OOo was pretty intense. I know Apache has all that web server download traffic and all...but
I'm telling you Sun.com quailed at the throughput, and we shouldn't assume our mileage will
vary. There will be extraordinary infrastructure costs, because it is end-user software (and
there are a LOT of users worldwide). Sun mitigated this problem with mirrors, but of course
that screwed download stats.

> do you have any numbers?
>
> I am really curious - people are always saying that but I cannot get
> out numbers. I believe all you said, I just would like to know how
> much it is actually

Have a look at http://marketing.openoffice.org/marketing_bouncer.html
Maybe a bit outdated and actually there is no release date in the
displayed time. The old load balancer (bouncer) usually failed totally
when a new version was announced, therefore OOo switched to Suse's
Mirrorbrain.

Volker

--
Volker Merschmann