incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Licensing Q's [was: Incubator Proposal]
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:23:17 GMT
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 23:48, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> The extensive LibreOffice user-documentation project is producing GPL3[+]/CC-by3.0
dual-licensed documents.  I assume that CC-by is not toxic for Apache, since it is the closest
CC license to permissive (i.e., it is at least as permissive as modified BSD) and it allows
derivative works, of course.

> We renamed the "Apache Software License, v1.1" to "Apache License,
> v2.0" for the basic reason that we wanted to cover documentation, too.
> AFAIK, all documentation coming out of the ASF is licensed under ALv2.
>
> Would we be okay with CC licenses? Unsure, to be honest. I think that
> we certainly could be okay with it: certain forms of the CC license
> palette match our permissive ideals, and they are also modern,
> well-considered licenses. I'm not sure the question has come up, so we
> have no policy that I'm aware of.

CC-by 2.5 is listed as acceptable:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

I have no reason to believe that 3.0 would pose a problem.

> Cheers,
> -g

- Sam Ruby