incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions for the cheap seats. - Priming the Pump
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 06:19:02 GMT
Well, a quick answer is that we can't make a release that requires
code under a license less permissive than ALv2. "Releasing" a tarball
of the entry code would most likely not fulfill that requirement.
That's why it gets a bit tricky.

The meta-answer is that we don't want to surprise downstream consumers
with a release that requires more than ALv2.

I don't disagree with the concept, mind you, but I'd rather push
forward with making the podling accepted and successful. Then making a
proper release that consumers can rely on, with the full backing of
the ASF.

Cheers,
-g

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 00:40, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Since I don't know what "proper, vetted release" entails, I will have to shut up.  If
it is a concern that Oracle has included something that doesn't belong to them, I suppose
you might want to do whatever you need to do to ensure the IP is in order.

> But considering that this is the (initial) extent of the grant, I think having it archived
for what it is would simply make sense (I am not talking about it being a release).  I also
think it is a good idea just in case we mess up moving it into the Apache infrastructure and
need a do-over.

> It is not about leaving the incubator or anything.  I think of it as baked prudence
with a sauce of transparency.  I'm surprised this is a problem, but then I are a simple man
... .

>  - Dennis

This would be an extraordinary circumstance, which is why I mentioned the Board input.

> So... I would not recommend this as a "first step" since it would be abnormal. Tarballs
on the sly aren't good; the ASF wants a proper, vetted release.

> Cheers,
> -g
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 00:00, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I think this should be the very first step regardless, even for first materials accessible
from the podling.

>> The next would be to figure out how to stage it onto the Apache infrastructure, build
what can be built, see what the deltas are, etc.

>> This sort of preservation and assessment seems indispensible in getting going and
seeing what the opportunities are.

the code that was granted to us, apply the ALv2, and drop the tarball onto archive.apache.org.

>> Third parties could pick up that code under the ALv2 license, but it would never
be a "released product from Apache". Other producers of OOo-related software could incorporate
that code, should they wish.