incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A lot of bodies, a lot of money, and a source-dump release.
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 09:11:02 GMT
I have concerns about the proposal, but not with the ones you raise.

If you're right about the costs, they not going to hit from day one -
as the initial effort will be in building the community and building
something that can be released and very little needed in terms of end
users - and the ASF has more than enough resources to cope with that.
The ASF has IMO a great track record in fund raising and is not
without resources (see the latest treasurers report[1]) and if this
project succeeds here I wouldn't be surprised to see its success bring
in an increase in ASF funding. If the project failed, then I also
doubt that we would have incurred that much expenditure.

Needing a large community, being able to cope with an IBM pullout &
releasing lots of binaries are all things this project would need to
demonstrate they can deal with before graduating. If they can't then
they wouldn't become an official ASF project.

I also don't think the user support and the ASF lack of experience is
that big a deal. It will take more hardware and consume more time from
the infra engineers - but we already have pretty impressive infra
thats on a pretty big scale. The OOo project will need to build the
community of volunteers to support the end users and the experience
that requires - that will be a task that needs to start in incubation
- if not complete. That will be a difficult task - but IMO  thats not
a reason not to try and lack of experience in that area is not a
reason not to accept the proposal.

Niall

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2011/board_minutes_2011_02_16.txt