incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:33:06 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> It could be argued either way. I am sure if IBM put its efforts to
>> LibreOffice then I'm sure it would be a great success. So why doesn't
>> IBM want to take part when theres a great FOSS community already in
>> existence?
>
> Did you not read my post in reply to you an hour ago?  The answer is obvious. IBM is
not an "Open Source" company but a proprietary software company. Those are two separate business
models. That is like asking Microsoft why you can't have the source code for Windows.  Expecting
a Leopard to change into a Lion is simply not going to happen - at least not quickly.

I did read it - but IBM has decided to happily contribute to the GPL'd
OpenJDK - so I don't believe it has to change any spots.

Niall