incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice.org Incubator Proposal: Collaboration with TDF/LO
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:54:18 GMT

On 4 Jun 2011, at 18:18, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:43:50PM +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:
>>
>> On 4 Jun 2011, at 12:19, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> LibreOffice complements anything we do here at Apache to those who
>>> agree with the license terms under which LibreOffice is made
>>> available.  Until or unless we resolve that issue, I feel that the
>>> statement above would need to be both qualified in this manner and
>>> extended to enumerate other complements that might apply in other
>>> situations.
>>
>> I disagree. LO has a focus on the binary deliverables and the consumer destinations
they reach that is perfectly complementary to the developer focus of Apache. This complementarity
is entirely unrelated to licensing.

> Agreed, but that assumes that LO is "just" a build/deliverables/consumer
> focused entity, and doesn't have a developer interest as well. As long
> as they still do, then licensing is important.

That's not my intent. Rather, I have tried to capture in writing the things I think it's easy
to agree about and leave unsaid the things it is certain will cause an argument. Indeed, I
believe that's close to the definition of consensus.

But I do believe the developer intent of TDF to be profoundly different from the general developer
ethos of ASF, so even in those contentious areas where ideology will come into play I am still
optimistic there are ways to collaborate if we have the will to make it happen.

S.