incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OO/LO License
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:35:32 GMT

On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Once licensing issues are understood then a way the two communities might mutually
cooperate becomes clear. And here it is LO/TDF might contribute to Apache OO by providing
portions of the LO codebase as MPL binary libraries.

>> Sam, is this the direction you are leading us?
>
> While minor portions of a distribution which are unlikely to need to
> be modified may be made available under the MPL, it is not the intent
> of the ASF to produce distributions consisting substantially of
> materials made available under other licenses.

Agreed about substantial. My point was conceptual. Components and extensions with difficult
IP provenance OOo might not have a place under the ASL. If LO/TDP were willing to package
such components in, for example, an MPL licensed LO binary library, then the Apache OO podling
or project might use these as a part of OOo until it makes the decision to replace it with
other code.

If the podling took this approach then if I understand the process that portion and why it
is still there would likely be a major factor in the IPMC's vote for graduation?

A side effect of this approach is that over time the combined community would decide as individuals
by organic processes where effort should be applied and how much duplication and variance
is acceptable. Which direction the stream flows is irrelevant.

> In general, the philosophy is that there are lots of good licenses out
> there, and people should feel comfortable with their choice of
> license.  If others wish to use the Apache License, they are of course
> welcome to do so, and need not give anything back either to us... or
> to anybody else.
>
> However those that wish to use a license other than the Apache License
> will need to do so elsewhere.  Those that do so are welcome to make
> use of our code as long as they follow the generous terms of our
> license.
>
> This isn't about good/bad.  It isn't an ideology.  It merely is a
> definition of what the Apache
> Software Foundation produces.  It sets an expectation of what our
> users can expect from us.

And this is the education you are providing. I hope it is working.

Thanks,
Dave Fisher