incubator-general mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Added Education Project idea to the OpenOffice.org Apache incubator
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 22:34:46 GMT
Hi Ross,

Le 6 juin 11 à 23:52, Ross Gardler a écrit :

>> Thank you very much, I appreciate a lot :-)
>>
>> Mentoring is essential in the Education Project, because our main
>> goal,
>> after create a strong bridge with Educational world, was to
>> attract new
>> developers.
>>
>> I'm a bit lost with the Apache Fondation website. Do you have links I
>> could read ?
>
> The community development PMC is at http://community.apache.org the

I bookmarked them, thanks !  Anyway, I'll probably subscribe to the
dev@ list, and present myself soon.

> Most of our activity is on GSoC,

EducOOo applied, but for some reason we were not accepted by Google.
To be honest, I suspect something wrong, or worse on Google side.

=> the draft is here : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/GSoC2011

> but we do have the occasional person going through our programme
> independently. We'd like to step that up a gear, but haven't had a
> great deal of success.

If we can, we'll share our know-how. Nevertheless, I must recognize
it is difficult for us, too, but we are lucky with some students who
did a great work.

See our welcome students : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
WelcomeStudents

> Maybe your existing work will finally help us realise that.

Would be great to share and improve :-)

I'll try to make it short : everything is shared online on our wiki
(most of the time). The most recent Google SoC I mentored was last
year,  were I mentored Michal Spiziak :

See : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/User:MSpisiak
+  http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/ImproveMathEquationEditor/
Baseline_AlignmentEquations
and:  http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/ImproveMathEquationEditor

In fact I mentored (partialy) a second student, Jonas Finnemans
Jensen, with Fridrich Strba

See : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ooo-build/SummerOfCode/
2010/Jonas

The previous  Soc were in 2006 with Pierre de Filippis.  It was my
first participation, and we were at the beginning og the Aqua port of
OpenOffice.org (I was the project Lead), so not much code has been
written, but there as good excuses, discovering the beast. You can
find some traces here : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
MacOSX:_Complete_User_Interface_respecting_Aqua_Human_Interface_Guidelin
es , but I can find more information if you need it.

In 2007, yet for the native Mac OS X port, I mentored Ismael Merzaq:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Log_Mac_Meeting_20th_April_2007

Was more productive. See http://lebasket.free.fr/blog/

But that's not all.  We use to work with students, and their schools,
and we try to explain how we hacked the code online (yet on the
wiki). Important : the OpenOffice.org developers often helped us, and
they had a big role in the story too.

More information on our list of schools who participated is available
here -> http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/WelcomeStudents
The features are proposed by teachers, and when everybody agrees, we
implement what we can.

Some examples :

New Start Center : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
NewStartCenterBehavior
Toolbars and levels : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
ToolbarsAndUserLevel
New cursors :  http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/AddNewCursors
Protected preferences : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
PasswordProtectedPreferences  (the page has been seen more than
27,000 times ... )

+  Online ClassRooms http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/ClassRooms

and so on

Other features : the annotation mode, made by students from Ecole
Centrale Nantes, and reverserd to OpenOffice.org
As you can see, the list is very long, but we really can do a lot
with schools, and the Education Project is really a good compromise
to introduce FOSS.

Last but not least, I have seen some valuable developers join the
list on the incubator page, and I'm confident they will probably
contribute too :-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--