incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:28:48 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> IMO the only negative thing then about LibreOffice is the copyleft
> license - everything else about them is great. When deciding whether
> to accept OO we should consider whether that and facilitating BigCos
> interests is worth splitting the FOSS community.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  I certainly wouldn't propose creating
a Linux/Unix equivalent project here at the ASF but if someone came along with sufficient
reason to do it (i.e. they wanted an Apache licensed implementation) I wouldn't vote no just
because Linux is a strong community.  To me, the benefit of having an Apache licensed version
will always win when there are users who want it and developers willing to work on it.

Ralph