incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Splitting^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HREUNITING the Community?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 20:20:14 GMT

On Jun 6, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Volker Merschmann wrote:
>
>>> I've been told that Oracle and TDF *were* in discussions but
>>> that the demands by TDF were sufficiently unpalatable to Oracle
>>> as to prevent any sort of agreement... IBM may have strongly
>>> suggested the ASF as a backup, but we were the runner-up in
>>> a sense. Taxes were not an issue...
>
>> I do not see where the demands were "unpalatable":
>
> Well, "We believe that the MPL (over say an Apache license) as a copy-left
> license, is crucial to community growth and acceptance, and has proved
> itself with Mozilla" may not have been palatable.

I replied on the TDF ML about #3 which, from my reading (and
from what I have been told by entities both within and outside
of Oracle) requested the "infrastructure" which was later
clarified to mean servers, various hardware, access to
private Oracle infrastructure, etc... Which I also think
Oracle would have balked at as well...

Had TDF requested just #1 and #2, as well as a more liberal
license, *maybe* things would have been different... but
who knows. Those sorts of questions do more to retard progress
than advance it...

We are here... let's continue moving forward!

Cheers!