incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:30:15 GMT

On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Simon Brouwer wrote:

>> proposal on the wiki.
> I had already been so bold as to adding myself to the list, expressing my support to
the proposal. I was wondering though. In the OpenOffice.orgproject, many community members
contribute in other ways than committing code, for example by writing or translating documentation,
being active in the marketing project, taking part in QA. Some concern has been expressed
that, if the meritocratic system in Apache is based on code contribution only, those community
members are not able to fully become part of the OpenOffice.org Apache project or the Apache
community.

I think I can put this to rest.

I have been involved with the Apache HTTP Server project for 12+ years, and in that time have
committed perhaps 5 code changes. The rest of my participation has been documentation. I am
a full committer, and have the same rights and privileges accorded to other members of the
project.

Documentation contributors are given the same respect and karma that is given to code contributors.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com