incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice & LibreOffice
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:40:38 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:18 PM, Keith Curtis wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> You have recipient and donor roles reversed. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_donor#Red_blood_cell_compatibility
>>
>> Search the archives for some of Sam Ruby's emails.
>
> I learned this in 6th grade and still remember it. Anyway, the larger
> point seems that the Linux kernel is a better type-O because it
> accepts all kinds of changes.

The statement was ASL is a universal "donor", in the blood analogy a type O-.

You are saying that it is best to be a universal recipient - in blood terms AB+. Not type
O.

To continue, an individual with O- blood has to be extremely careful whose blood they accept.
The individual with AB+ need not care much about the type.

This is a unique opportunity to declare a substantial portion of the OOo/LOo blood supply
be magically converted to type O- from AB+. Isn't that the real wave of the magic wand that
Oracle has given the whole community by this Software Grant.

LO/TDF would be free to convert Apache OO blood into whatever type of supply they choose.

Since the TDF currently requires contributions to be dual typed (licensed) then this allows
the fork to be relicensed by LO/TDF on perhaps better terms for the LOo community.

Regards,
Dave