incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject OpenOffice.org Summit Proposal
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:18:43 GMT
My apologies if this proposal is out of place on either list, but I think it's worth thinking
about early.  Obviously I speak for neither Apache nor TDF but I have a deep concern for OpenOffice.org
and am very keen to see the community healed.

Given that:
*  both LibreOffice (October, Paris) and Apache (November, Vancouver) have conferences in
the second half of the year,
*  between them cover both Europe and North America,
*  plenty of people will be travelling anyway to attend them,
*  it's much easier to co-operate with people you've met

I would like to suggest to both TDF and Apache that they host an "OpenOffice.org Unity Summit"
(or some less cheesy name if you prefer!) at both conferences, inviting everyone associated
in any way with the overall OpenOffice.org community (open source projects like LibreOffice
or the proposed Apache project, their direct downstreams like NeoOffice, their commercial
derivatives like Symphony) to attend, preferably without charge.

The event would need a neutral Chair/Organiser and a suitably egalitarian agenda, naturally.
 Is this worth exploring?

S.