incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [Libreoffice] Proposal to join Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:23:33 GMT
On 6 Jun 2011, at 18:08, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue.fan@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Let's say we persuaded the good guys at Apache that this is a ploy to
>>> manipulate them and they reject the code. Where then will it go? If
>>> conspiracy is right it definitely won't be to TDF and it could be to
>>> somewhere a lot more damaging to TDF than the ASF.
>
> 100% agreed. Once this project is approved, it will be much easier to work
> out ideal compromises together too.

Also - keep in mind that Apache is a fairly simple beast when it comes to driving ideology,
agendas and making the world generally a better place. I could easily see the two very effectively
working on different planes. The ASF as a place for peers to work on the code - and a higher
plane (or several) where TDF or commercial groupings would engage with the ecosystem at a
very different level.

Dw.