incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Proposal: Relationships with Other Apache Products
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 08:08:58 GMT
Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 5 Jun 2011, at 04:17, Shane Curcuru <> wrote:

> wrote:
>> I plan on updating the proposal on the wiki over the week-end.  I'm going to start
a series of threads on various sections of the proposal that I think are a bit thin and which
I could use some help with. For "Relationships with Other Apache Products" we currently just
call out only POI as a possible connection based on document file formats that are in common
between the two projects, both the current POI Microsoft Office formats, as well as possible
future ODF libraries.
>> Are there any other Apache projects where there might be an interesting relationship?
  Anything jump out?
> How about Community Development over at
> It's not a technical relationship to be sure, but there have been far more discussions
about how to manage communities in threads related to this potential podling than there have
about almost any technical issues.

In my opinion there are two relationships with ComDev:

1) The education projects would seem to marry reasonably well with ComDevs current activities
on mentoring. Although I should point out that The OO.o efforts have a different focus (although
not necessarily out of scope for us)

2) in understanding the ApacheWay. It's the Incubators job to ensure the project is working
well in this regard . ComDev has been increasing it's efforts to develop entry level docs
for newcomers, and we've started to document some of our internal (often unwritten) knowledge.
I'm pleased to say Dennis Hamilton has already helped us fix up a few issues as a result of
this proposal.

The proposal already has a request for a comdev mentor. I'm considering my time availability
and encourage others (ComDev or otherwise) to consider signing up.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message