incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:46:36 GMT

On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	Sure - there are lots of nice side effects of rationalisation and so
> on, it all sounds good. But unfortunately IBM's move here is not
> primarily focused on that - otherwise (surely) it would work with TDF -
> where it has been made clear, it would be most welcome as a senior,
> leading player. Incidentally, Rob's diversity diagram is in my view
> somewhat misleading: large numbers of OO.o derivatives (no matter when
> they release) are already united around LibreOffice's work.
> 	I would hope instead, that ASF + IBM can work with TDF's governance to
> try to hammer out some ( I suspect grisly to ASF ) compromise. In my
> view, a key element of that needs to be copy-left licensing[2] to assure
> the project's future as a focus of real community collaboration.

?? I am concerned about the strawman argument that somehow this
project is a ASF+IBM one; it's not. It's an ASF project (well,
podling). Despite maybe some unclear or over-eager statements
to the contrary, the people who drive the project are the
people, the individuals, within that project, no matter what
their affiliation.

This needs to be crystal clear.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: