incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:46:36 GMT

On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	Sure - there are lots of nice side effects of rationalisation and so
> on, it all sounds good. But unfortunately IBM's move here is not
> primarily focused on that - otherwise (surely) it would work with TDF -
> where it has been made clear, it would be most welcome as a senior,
> leading player. Incidentally, Rob's diversity diagram is in my view
> somewhat misleading: large numbers of OO.o derivatives (no matter when
> they release) are already united around LibreOffice's work.
>

> 	I would hope instead, that ASF + IBM can work with TDF's governance to
> try to hammer out some ( I suspect grisly to ASF ) compromise. In my
> view, a key element of that needs to be copy-left licensing[2] to assure
> the project's future as a focus of real community collaboration.

?? I am concerned about the strawman argument that somehow this
project is a ASF+IBM one; it's not. It's an ASF project (well,
podling). Despite maybe some unclear or over-eager statements
to the contrary, the people who drive the project are the
people, the individuals, within that project, no matter what
their affiliation.

This needs to be crystal clear.