incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for OpenOffice Incubator strategy
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:15:52 GMT

On Jun 3, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 03/06/2011 16:43, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 3, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>>
>>> Please see Simon Phipps' email earlier today that contained a very similar suggestion
with some more detail, it would be nice to bring these two threads together.

>> Simon's email, from what I can tell, boils down to:
>>
>>   1. The podling goes along as suggested.
>>   2. The TDF continues business as usual.
>

> I read it differently and more like what was proposed in this thread.
>
> The podling goes along as suggested and TDF continues to provide essential support to
existing users of the the end user product that is currently called OpenOffice.org to some
and LibreOffice to others).

But what of the *development* of the code? If business-as-usual
is both sides independently developing the codebase, then
how does that address what is, I guess, a main issue? Is the
idea that the ASF contribute code which is then consumed
by TDF and that any patches to TDF remain unaccessible to
the ASF? Does this result in the communities driving closer
together or farther apart?