incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:40:17 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> I agree with you - in this case I think it would be better if IBM
> collaborated with LibreOffice, rather than seeking to compete. But I
> could be wrong.

I don't work for IBM but I do work for a corporation that uses a similar business model.
I would guess that building a product that builds upon a work that is primarily under the
LGPL is simply not an option. There are many companies that are comfortable in building a
business model where all their products are open source. I don't believe IBM is one of them.
 So this is not even an option.  However, I suspect IBM would be willing to collaborate in
other ways - just not in any way that forces them to move from releasing proprietary software
products.

Since Oracle has put the code under the Apache license I would imagine that IBM would be free
to take that code and move it internal should the Incubator PMC not approve the podling. Personally,
I would much rather have IBM participate here than see them do that.

Ralph