incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal: Meritocracy and Committers for non-coders?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:05:02 GMT

On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:43 AM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> What isn't clear to me are things like the following:
>
> 1) A strong QA member, who does manual testing, enters defect reports,
> does smoke tests, etc.  How do they advance in the meritocracy?  Is there
> any opportunity for them to be recognized as a committer and eventually as
> a PMC member?
>
> 2) Ditto for someone working on marketing oriented aspects of the project,
> helping to arrange conferences, working on logos, etc.?
>
> 3) Ditto for someone on the build/release management side, for example,
> liaising with Linux distros to get them to include OpenOffice releases.
>
> All of these roles (and others which I've surely missed) are critical to
> the project's success.  How does a project typically recognize the lead
> contributors in these areas?  Is it a case of "If it is not checked into
> the repository, it doesn't count" ??  I hope note.

Note, also, that all of these things (who gets commit, who gets to be on the PMC) are decided
by the project itself, not handed down from the Board or the Members. This gives the community
the authority to define who is, or is not, a valued contributor. It seems pretty clear that
the project has established ideas of this already, and so little cause for concern.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com