incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:42:26 GMT

On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
>> On Jun 5, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> It could be argued either way. I am sure if IBM put its efforts to
>>> LibreOffice then I'm sure it would be a great success. So why doesn't
>>> IBM want to take part when theres a great FOSS community already in
>>> existence?
>> Did you not read my post in reply to you an hour ago?  The answer is obvious. IBM
is not an "Open Source" company but a proprietary software company. Those are two separate
business models. That is like asking Microsoft why you can't have the source code for Windows.
 Expecting a Leopard to change into a Lion is simply not going to happen - at least not quickly.
> I did read it - but IBM has decided to happily contribute to the GPL'd
> OpenJDK - so I don't believe it has to change any spots.

Here is another great example - and hopefully makes it obvious. Look at
 For all the copyleft folks SVNKit is great. It is also great if you want to pay TMate money
and ship your proprietary product.  IBM can't do the first so it does the second.  Not everyone
who does dual licensing makes it so obvious but it happens all the time. I actually think
it is kind of funny because it totally subverts the whole copyleft "freedoms".