incubator-general mailing list archives

From Richard Frovarp <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:39:20 GMT
On 06/14/2011 12:31 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:43:21PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating,
>> version 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2
>> non-binding +1 votes.
>> PPMC release vote thread:
> Hi,
> Looks like this is the inaugural ASF release for Droids, right?

Thank you for looking at this. Yes, it will be.

> First, congratulations on getting this far!  It can take a long time and a lot
> of effort to get to the point where a podling's contributors feel comfortable
> proposing an ASF release.
> That said, I have some questions about the PPMC vote thread.  Droids has the
> following roster, according to the status page:
>      Mentors      Ross Gardler
>                   Paul Fremantle
>                   Grant Ingersoll
>      Committers   Thorsten Scherler
>                   Ryan McKinley
>                   Grant Ingersoll
>                   Oleg Kalnichevski
> This is the tally for the PPMC vote:
>      +1  Torsten Scherler
>      +1  Richard Frovarp
>      +1  Bertil Chapuis
> The Droids status page has apparently not been kept up to date, since there
> are numerous authors listed at...
> ... and both Richard Frovarp and Bertil Chapuis seem to have commit rights.
> Can you please confirm that the three +1 votes all belong to people who are
> official members of the Droids PPMC?

Yes, the page needs to be updated. Ross has provided us with a link to
the page on how to update that information. I personally haven't had
time to do it. I think I'm on the PPMC, but for the Incubator, I'm not
quite sure the distinction between a PPMC member and a committer.

> Then there's the IMPC vote, which looks like it comes from Thorsten Scherler.
> According to this...
> ... Thorsten is not on the IPMC right now, though as an ASF Member he can
> simply request to join.  Once that happens, you'll have 1 IPMC vote.

But he is. Several months ago the board acked his request, but it would
appear that the IPCM membership roster hasn't been updated.

> However, none of the Droids Mentors appear to have participated in the vote.
> I know one of them is camping and one took a new job recently, but still, it's
> troubling.

Ross participated in a previous vote that didn't pass as we found things
we need to clean up. It would seem he didn't have the time to
participate this time.

> In principle, I'd like to freelance and contribute some oversight towards your
> release by performing a surface review and voting.  I can check license
> headers, sigs and sums, etc, and help with an audit of LICENSE and NOTICE,
> especially if we can work together to produce an authoritative list of the
> project's dependencies.  Unfortunately, my Java expertise is almost all
> theoretical, so code review will be limited to fumbling around until I figure
> out how to run the test suite and verify that it passes.

I can put together a list. Maven should give it to me easily and I can
post. I've gone through it quite carefully and everything I can see
indicates that we are good. I've been doing some of this as PMC Chair
for Apache Lenya, so I do have some experience with it. Further help and
guidance of course is always welcome.

> However, I won't personally feel comfortable contributing a +1 without at
> least one of your Mentors signing off, particularly for a first release which
> endorses the IP clearance process.

Fair enough.

> I've only been on the IPMC a few weeks.  Can any of our more experienced hands
> offer recommendations about the best way to proceed?

Thanks once again.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message