incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Korn <peter.k...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Request: Can "proposed committers" introduce themselves?
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:49:52 GMT
Hi,

My name is Peter Korn, and I've been working on accessibility for the
last 20 years.

I started that career developing assistive technologies for folks with
vision impairments, and then moved to Sun where I worked on platform
accessibility frameworks.  Around 10 years ago I helped start the
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org accessibility effort (and had the pleasure of
meeting Malte, with whom I've worked for a good many years).  That's
also the time I kicked off the GNOME accessibility effort.

I've moved away from writing code on a regular basis, spending more time
on accessibility policy, design, management, and related matters.  I am
co-chair of the now-mostly-quiet OASIS ODF accessibility subcommittee,
and helped with the analysis and fixes to the ODF spec.  I am Technical
Manager of the AEGIS project [http://www.aegis-project.eu], where we are
developing a number of extensions to OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice for
accessibility, including the successful odt2daisy and odt2braille
extensions (for creating digital talking books for folks with print
impairments and embossing braille documents respectively), and a
hopefully-soon-to-be-published extension to support language learning
and writing via the concept-coding framework for folks with cognitive
impairments - among other things.

I doubt I'll contribute much direct code to the effort, but I look
forward to helping with design decisions that affect accessibility.

Regards,

Peter

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>