incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christoph Jopp <j...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:35:59 GMT
 +1 Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation
(non-binding)

At first I thought beeing on the committers list would imply my approval
of the proposal. But now I'd like to give the reasons for my vote as so
many others did:

(All just my point of view as an suburban inhabitant of the "old" OOo
community)

TDF was and is important for the OpenOffice.org community and did and
does a great job. TDF came into existence just as many people of the OOo
community saw the project and the community in danger - to give a new
home to OOo. But still other parts of the community remain some kind of
"homeless".

So I think before the different parts of the community could
collaborate, approximate or even reunite, the "homeless" need a new home
and I do not see another place now - especially no better one - as the ASF.

Looking at the discussion of the last days I see many valid arguments on
both sides and a level of approximation I would not have considered
possible before. So please let that evolve and don't cancel it before it
has begun. I would find it sad to see only parts of the experience
represented on the committers list ( not my little bit ;-) ) beeing lost
for OOo.

My understanding of the Apache Incubator is that it is a place to see in
reality if all the "might-be" and "if" is valid or not (might be wrong
with it?).

So I would be curious to see the things coming.

Thank you for your time
Christoph