incubator-general mailing list archives

From Simon Brouwer <simon.o...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] (was: RE: [VOTE] Accept OpenOffice.org for incubation)
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 10:05:07 GMT
Hi Gavin,

Op 11-6-2011 10:59, Gavin McDonald schreef:
> [...]

I'm not answering for Volker, but personally I see a big problem in the
fact that the installation packages of OpenOffice.org as we know it
today contain numerous "external" (mostly LGPL) libraries and binaries
that are not ASL licensed and not covered under the Oracle grant.
As I understand, it is strict ASF policy not to distribute binaries
containing non-ASL source, and it will be far from trivial to replace
those dependencies. Therefore I expect that, even if OpenOffice.org can
be built and distributed under these restrictions, it will be severely
crippled for a long time to come. I foresee that many (prospective)
OpenOffice.org-users will lose interest and that we won't be able to
regain the momentum.

--

Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.