incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Remediation ...
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:19:59 GMT
On 09/06/2011 18:59, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>> and/or can others comment on ASF policies in this regard ? how are
>>> such issues worked through ?
>
> 	This question was intended to mean:
>
> 	"What is ASF's normal modus operandi here ?, how does this type
> 	 of issue get addressed ? are there guidelines on this kind of
> 	 work getting done in public ? are there pre-existing cases of
> 	 this getting done ? how are such issues worked through ?"
>
> 	So far I have an assurance from Sam that everything will be done on the
> public mailing list in an open way. That is great, but not 100%
> satisfying: does that include a public rational for apparently trivial
> code changes that have an impact in this area ? [ we would want to be
> aware of these of course ].
>
> 	I have an assurance from Ross that, when voted on, technical
> justifications will have to be given for the inclusion or otherwise of
> code changes; that is good too - but surely not every change is voted
> on.

I also provided a link to the page which provides all the answers you
need. In summary:

No - there is no need to justify all code changes (lazy consensus)

Yes - anyone can ask for a justification (usually commit-then-review for
committers and review-then-commit for non-committers)

No - we don't vote on everything (lazy consensus)

Yes - people can object to changes on technical grounds (veto)

No - Veto's can't be used to block things

We have a very long history of managing these things. We don't claim it
is perfect, but to date it has worked for many many many users and
contributors, on many projects.

While *you* may not think our way of doing thing is good enough, many
others do. Please don't try and force those who feel the ASF management
processes are sufficient to change them without strong and verifiable
evidence that the process is broken.

Shouting "FUD" while spreading your own FUD is not helping anyone.

Ross