incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upstream/Downstream (was OpenOffice & LibreOffice)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:06:13 GMT
On 08/06/2011 16:33, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> My understanding is that the Apache OpenOffice codebase matters to IBM
> and anyone who would want to use the specificities of the Apache
> licensing, and I understand this as being a reality we can all agree
> on. Instead of spending hours and keystrokes pondering on the ability
> of the Apache OpenOffice project to execute or to become LibreOffice's
> upstream, I would like to rephrase or reframe Simon's proposal, esp.
> its points 2 and 3 (2: rename the project to Apache ODF suite 3. make
> this project not the office suite that competes with LibreOffice but
> make it the meeting point of development efforts for specific purposes
> and ODF). Basically this amounts to think about the current proposal
> based on two factors:
>
> 1. find a proper coherence and relevance between Apache OOo&
> LibreOffice on a technological level and on  a distribution level
> 2. find a proper coherence with IBM's business requirements (Symphony).
>
> I hope we can move forward on this.

If we are to call the vote on Friday as currently seems to be the target
(which is in no way fixed) I wonder if the ASF representatives who
engaged with the TDF lists can provide a little feedback. Specifically
I'm interested to know if there was any discussion along the above lines.

Of course, I will also be trying to find the time to read the relevant
articles. To speed some of us along would it be possible for someone to
post links to those archives here.

Thank you.

Ross