incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: A little OOo history
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:00:28 GMT
robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Danese Cooper <danese@gmail.com> wrote on 06/07/2011 02:19:38 PM:

...snip...
> It seems Apache will have a destination of value in OpenOffice.org.  There
> should be a way to monetize this, similar to how Mozilla monetized their
> default search engine choice with Google.   For example, ASF could take
> bids and award a contracts to providers who want to serve up OOo code. The
> money from this could be used to fund mirrors in under-served markets.  Or
> the contract could require that the downloads be free to certain ranges of
> IP addresses, or something like that.  Similar things could be done with
> respect to advertising.  (With the obvious caveat that I have absolutely
> no idea whether any of this is permitted by ASF bylaws.)

I just want to reiterate one very important point: the ASF gives away
our software for free to all, period.

It's in our charter [1] as Bill Rowe pointed out.  The bylaws [2] don't
specifically address this point, which is fine. They don't need to;
while the members of the ASF indeed sometimes have quite different
viewpoints, as a whole the organization has been consistent and clear on
ensuring that our software is freely available to all.

When and if mirroring infrastructure becomes an issue, we can work with
our infrastructure team to see what's needed.  If there is significant
expense to ensure we can serve the public that will want to access our
software, well, then that's why we have a Sponsorship program [3].  Note
that all sponsorships are non-directed; i.e. funds are donated to the
ASF as a whole, and the ASF chooses how to use them for the benefit of
all our projects.

I think the biggest lesson is that there are a lot of important
questions here we need to work on - as soon as we have a podling to ask
them.  Oooh, and thanks Leo for thinking about it ahead of time!

- Shane

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/certificate.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html
[3] http://apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html