incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Lippka ...@lippka.com>
Subject Re: Code covered by the Oracle grant
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 09:42:57 GMT
Hi Thorsten,

Am 07.06.2011 11:09, schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
> Simon Brouwer wrote:
>> The real question is whether anything essential is missing that Oracle
>> can't supply and that is very difficult to replace.
>>
> If you re-read Christian's mail, the answer to both is "yes". And
> another remark: given the overall state of the code (~20 years of
> sedimentation), the full project history is of great value, when one
> tries to figure out how one specific piece of code came to pass.
>
> All of that makes starting off from the hg repo appear desirable ...
While I fully agree that the commit history is of value, I do not see
the need to
include them when switching to AL. IMHO it is perfectly legal for anyone
to clone
the currently available repositories and archive them and also make them
available
publicly. So those information will not be lost, this is the internet :-)

This is not an argument against having the history, I'm perfectly fine
with that
solution also. But in this case my personal preference would be to start
clean.

Regards,
Christian