incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cor Nouws <oo...@nouenoff.nl>
Subject Re: OOo - Lines in the sand and pre-determined conclusions...
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:33:08 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote (07-06-11 02:03)

Michael Meeks:
>>> "I do not believe the ASF is likely to provide a good home for
>>> the OO.o project in the long run."

You:
> I agree; you draw the same inference that I do: he means that a
> non-copyleft license is the reason for (predicted eventual) failure.

Is 'Not likely to be a good home' the same as 'failure' ? Sure not in
this case. It just means that the Apache solution does not cater for an
important part of the community.

> That attitude is most likely why (IMO) the "obvious" candidate wasn't
> used when Oracle decided to transfer OpenOffice.

Even more speculations, LOL
And OT (interesting how this whole subject drives me/you/others this route).

> Licensing matters.  IBM and others prefer an Open Source license,
> which allows a level playing field, rather than the inequity of
> GPL+proprietary, but they are not interested sharing everything.

A know discussion indeed.

Cheers,

--
  - Cor