incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Added Education Project idea to the OpenOffice.org Apache incubator
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:52:49 GMT
On 06/06/2011 14:30, eric b wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> Apologies, I just retrieved the mail one minute ago, sorting the n 750
> mails I received from this list.
>
> Le 2 juin 11 à 12:13, Ross Gardler a écrit :
>
>> On 02/06/2011 10:30, eric b wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For the record, I added the Education Project idea on the wiki page
>>> (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal).
>>>
>>> The idea we defend since several years, is to work with High Schools and
>>> Universities, train students, detect potential good ideas, write code
>>> (contribute back to OpenOffice.org when the code desserves it).
>>>
>>> Feel free to improve the idea :-)
>>
>> If this is something that the OOo proposal wants to take forward I
>> would be happy to help facilitate this through our Community
>> Development Project (this is the PMC that runs our mentoring program).
>
> Thank you very much, I appreciate a lot :-)
>
> Mentoring is essential in the Education Project, because our main goal,
> after create a strong bridge with Educational world, was to attract new
> developers.
>
> I'm a bit lost with the Apache Fondation website. Do you have links I
> could read ?

The community development PMC is at http://community.apache.org the

Most of our activity is on GSoC, but we do have the occasional person
going through our programme independently. We'd like to step that up a
gear, but haven't had a great deal of success. Maybe your existing work
will finally help us realise that.

Ross