incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:39:13 GMT
On 6/6/11 11:26, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org>  wrote:
>> On 6/6/11 10:41, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
>>> Hi Richard, *

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Fact: Your employer provoked the split, by a absolute
>>> "non-communication" on the existing mailinglist.
>>> Now, to say that TDF has split the Communtiy is dishonest!
>> Forking splits communities. Whether you feel you had a justified reason for
>> doing so does not change this fact. I am not weighing in on whether it is
>> right or wrong in this case, since I think that is immaterial to where we
>> are now.
>>
> That's an example of denial. I do not see a conductive environment here
> if such attitudes are tolerated.
>
>> I am only going by the "facts" as presented on the various Apache mailing
>> lists. If it is true that TDF was engaged by Oracle/IBM before the Apache
>> proposal, but failed to come to terms, then I cannot see how one can claim
>> that the Apache proposal was merely an attempt to split the community.
>>
> You should read more about free and open-source software, from diverse sources.
> Get a lwn.net subscription.
>
> Similar example, there was XFree86 long time ago that behaved just
> like the Oracle developers.
> Then, it was forked into X.Org and everyone moved to X.Org.
> XFree86 is a distant memory.

Ok, forget the first part of what I originally said, since it doesn't
really matter and apparently it prevents any discussion of the second
part...

The second part was, was TDF actually engaged and failed to come to
terms or not? That is what I've read, so I accepted this as true.

If so, do you actually believe the Apache proposal is just a stick in
the eye of the TDF by Oracle/IBM because they were angry they couldn't
come to terms? Or do you believe that because they couldn't come to
terms they created this proposal to form their own community of
like-minded people?

I would have to assume the latter, not the former.

-> richard