incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:07:08 GMT
> Hi,
>
> Richard S. Hall wrote on 2011-06-06 16.19:
>
>> However, it seems like we have lost sight of the fact that TDF split the
>> community from OOo. Sure, Oracle is the perceived villain and TDF the
>> perceived good guy, but it doesn't change the fact that OOo created the
>> community in the first place.
>
> wrong perception.
>
> If a vast majority of the community steps away, because the main
> sponsor refuses to talk to them, amongst these community members *all*
> community council members who do not work for the main sponsor, plus
> nearly all other "officials" (i.e. leads or co-leads) from the
> community, you may allow the question who split and who is to blame.
>
> If you don't believe that, feel free to have a look into the mailing
> list archives. And if the people in charge respected the community
> that much as you seem to suggest, then I wonder why the Apache
> proposal has not been discussed with this community in the first place.

I'm not sure what you mean. Did you want Oracle/IBM to discuss the
Apache proposal with TDF before submitting it to Apache? Because
otherwise, this is how proposals work, they get submitted and we discuss
them, which is what we are doing.

> So please stop spreading FUD like this. It won't help the further
> discussion here at all and just confirms the perception many of us had
> back in September: Some people simply do not have the slightest clue
> about communities. Or they *do* want to be blind.

Again, it was reported on this list that the parties could not come to
terms, is this true or not? If so, then it is clear that there isn't a
single community, because otherwise terms would have been reached. So,
where is the FUD?

-> richard