incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:02:01 GMT
On 6/6/11 10:41, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
> Hi Richard, *
>
> 2011/6/6 Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org>
>>>>>
> [...]
>
>> Disclaimer: I work for Oracle, but certainly don't speak for them and I knew nothing
about this other than what i've read on these mailing lists...

>> However, it seems like we have lost sight of the fact that TDF split the community
from OOo. Sure, Oracle is the perceived villain and TDF the perceived good guy, but it doesn't
change the fact that OOo created the community in the first place.

> Fact: Your employer provoked the split, by a absolute
> "non-communication" on the existing mailinglist.
> Now, to say that TDF has split the Communtiy is dishonest!

Forking splits communities. Whether you feel you had a justified reason
for doing so does not change this fact. I am not weighing in on whether
it is right or wrong in this case, since I think that is immaterial to
where we are now.

I am only going by the "facts" as presented on the various Apache
mailing lists. If it is true that TDF was engaged by Oracle/IBM before
the Apache proposal, but failed to come to terms, then I cannot see how
one can claim that the Apache proposal was merely an attempt to split
the community.

> Under these conditions, I'll change my entry in the wiki.

That's your call. I'm not trying to be offensive. I was just responding
to someone else's "statement of fact" with my own. Don't let it bother
you that people see things differently.

-> richard