incubator-general mailing list archives

From Florian Effenberger <flo...@documentfoundation.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:43:16 GMT
Hi Sam,

Sam Ruby wrote on 2011-06-06 02.02:

> I can tell you that those decisions are made above Rob's and my pay
> grades.  Way above.

maybe - looking behind corporate walls, so to say, is sometimes a bit
complicated. I don't personally blame anyone for this, but reading some
rumors or comments, especially towards TDF and the people driving it,
sometimes even feels, well, at least a bit strange.

My personal summary for now is that I tried to clarify some fuzz going
around, and to state why I think that setting up a parallel project does
not make any sense at all, but rather leads to community splitting and
market irritation, especially given that the granted source code seems
to be lacking important parts, and there is no real idea on how to
provide continuity for users (e.g. releasing OOo 3.4.0). All of this
will do *much* harm, IMHO even more than the benefit of having the
license you favor.

Creative solutions for working on the licensing issue surely exist, and
Simon mentioned one of them. Setting up things in parallel is not
necessarily required from my POV.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108