incubator-general mailing list archives

From Florian Effenberger <flo...@documentfoundation.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:05:56 GMT
Hi,

William A. Rowe Jr. wrote on 2011-06-06 02.28:
> Because Oracle and TDF, in confidential negotiations, could not come to
> an agreement.  And I think that's all that need be said on the matter.

well, I guess it has been mentioned on this list before, but let me
state it this way:

What TDF would have appreciated since its announcement, even what the
wider community would have appreciated to have been given by Oracle even
before TDF was announced, is *very* similar to what Apache seems to have
been granted.

I cannot see any real difference to the community demands the last
years, and I wonder why things seemed to be impossible for the community
and TDF, and seem to be possible for ASF.

I do not blame ASF for anything, but, similar to what I read yesterday
about your picture of our legal status, I call everyone to be cautious
with "rumors". Because they are simply that: Rumors.

Seems like a lot of fuzz is flowing around, at the expense of the truth.
Sticking to the facts instead of listening to story-tellers is sometimes
helpful.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108