incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 03:38:48 GMT

On 6/5/2011 5:38 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> I still think that's open for discussion. To my eyes it still makes a lot of
> sense to have Apache host the parts IBM (and maybe others, although their
> existence is exaggerated) need for their proprietary products, and then have
> TDF maintain a consumer end-user deliverable downstream as well.

Wouldn't it make the most sense for Apache to produce a full ALv2 Office
Suite, with the result available to interested users across all relevant
platforms?
The code would then be available for all ALv2 compatible uses, including
being integrated into downstream forks such as LibreOffice.
The presence of the code at Apache should solve some of the issues
(procedural and philosophical) developers have had pushing their code
upstream.
It would seem to be in the interest of forks to push as many changes as
possible upstream, to minimize the difficluties when merging in the
upstream code. [1]

This makes the most sense to me in terms of maximizing the value of the
project at ASF, while at the same time creating a cooperative working
relationship with multiple forms of downstream constituencies, including
LO/TDF, NeoOffice, RedOffice, and Symphony, among others.