incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 01:29:18 GMT
At the current moment I'm not sure there is a strictly definitive
answer, given that Oracle technically still owns the trademark.  When we
have specific legal questions that need to be worked on, we can work
with Sam and the privately archived legal-internal@ mailing list.

Once the ASF has the trademark, and presuming the podling is voted into
the Incubator, then the podling should strive to ensure that it meets
the Apache Project Branding Requirements [1] on it's main website, which
will be required before it can graduate to a top level project (TLP).

Usage guidelines for Apache marks are covered in our formal Trademark
Policy [2] and associated documents.  Note that we may in the future
need additions to the policy, given that some of the ways that the
OpenOffice.org product is used may be different from most other Apache
projects.

Note that one requirement for Apache projects is to use the Apache name
as part of the primary project and product name.  I would imagine that
one of the tasks for the podling to decide upon is how best to update
it's branding to reflect both it's broad end user heritage as well as
reflecting it's future state as an Apache project.

As Sam noted elsewhere in this thread, we are aware of the "Open Office"
TM application here in the US and hope to be able to address that soon.

- Shane

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/