incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 00:00:30 GMT
On 6/5/11 7:49 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Richard S. Hall<heavy@ungoverned.org>wrote:
>
>> I don't think the proposal here is for OOo to enter incubation and then try
>> to copy everything that TDF/LO does. I assume the proposers have a vision
>> for where they want to go, even though they may be starting from the same
>> place.
>>
> I'm not clear how safe that assumption is - that's what I have been waiting
> to see explained for quite a while actually. Rob has been strong on
> long-term abstract vision (clearly more omniscient than me), but any time
> specifics of what (&  how) is going to happen in the immediate future in
> terms of maintaining the important consumer end-user presence OpenOffice.org
> delivers, things get pretty fuzzy and hand-wavey.

Even if the answer is, "We don't have a short-term plan for all of the
consumers." I don't really see that as some smoking gun that says they
can't enter incubation. Granted, it would be nice if the brand weren't
hurt in the process, but at the same time I don't see how we can hold an
incubator project accountable for all of that...even if it is their goal
to do so.

-> richard