incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:30:33 GMT
On 6/5/11 16:50, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> IMO the only negative thing then about LibreOffice is the copyleft
>> license - everything else about them is great. When deciding whether
>> to accept OO we should consider whether that and facilitating BigCos
>> interests is worth splitting the FOSS community.
>>
>> I am considering voting -1 to this proposal for those reasons.
> Thanks for expressing my feelings so well, Niall!

I'll lend a voice to the contrary.

I can't see why splitting a community should be a factor in entry to the
incubator. Just about every new open source community is trying to pull
away developers from another community doing similar stuff. That's the
nature of the beast.

For me, getting the OOo code fully available under AL is reason enough
to +1 it as far as I'm concerned...if I were on the IPMC... :-)

-> richard